19.10.11

Dress to Impress

I am currently in a Marketing program at Western. In January I will be doing an internship to gain practical experience in a marketing role. Late last week I went for an interview at a boutique communications agency in Toronto. I felt really prepared when I walked into the Yorkville office but the thing that had me tossing and turning the night before, was "what should I wear to my interview"? After researching the company, its founder, and the employee that I would be meeting with, I felt as though I had a good idea of their philosophy and corporate culture. The agency represents clients in the fashion, lifestyle, and beauty industries, their office is located in a city hot-spot, and they use non-tradition business strategies. In my very own fashion-lingo, this translated into "modern-professional with a twist". And so I wore: black pumps, Danier leather pants (thick black leggings with leather detailing on the knees and on each side of the legs), white short-sleeve button up blouse, long black boyfriend blazer, accompanied by a two-tier subtle turquoise necklace. Unfortunately my camera was inoperable so you will have to use your imagination to get a visual.


This morning I had another interview, but this time it was for an event management company that operates out of London, Ontario. With a roster of international clients that span across industries, I was not entirely sure what the office culture would be like and therefore, what would be appropriate to wear to the interview. After contemplating whether I should keep it safe and dress in the traditional, ultra conservative skirt, blouse, and jacket combo (essentially the female suit), I decided to go with something that expressed my personality while keeping it conservative and respectful. I wore flat black ankle boots, full length taupe coloured skirt, black v-neck t-shirt (tucked in), with a fitted black blazer, and an over-sized knit scarf (it was chilly this morning). Below are some images, however, I substituted the fitted black blazer for my signature leather jacket once the interview was over.

First impressions are tremendously important and dressing to impress for a job interview helps convey this impression. While many would argue that job interviews are rigid, traditional, and professional encounters that warrant only the most conservative and boring attire, I beg to differ. I think it is extremely important to gauge the corporate environment of the company that you are going into. Can you imagine how ridiculous it would be for a child entertain (yes, those people who dress up like clowns and play the guitar at your child’s birthday party) to interview in a full, 3-piece suit? They wear a clown costume for goodness sake! The point is, you want to put your best foot forward but you also want to show your potential employer that you can fit in. Do your research and try and gauge what the office setting is like. When in doubt, it is better to be over dressed than under-dressed. In a time when everything in the world is progressing and evolving at a fast and furious pace, we cannot forget to re-evaluate the basics; interview-appropriate attire.

I will be lining up several interviews in the coming weeks, send me your tips and suggestions on how you dress for interviews. Would love to hear from you!

X
X


Jacket: Mackage, Top: Anthropologie, Skirt: Zara, Shoes: Geox, Purse: Balenciaga, Scarf: H&M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!
XX